Spring has sprung and our time just moved 1 hour ahead, which means it gets dark later! Yes, it’s about time to welcome spring and summer. I think I am bored of winter, wearing the thick jacket, scarf and gloves. It’s time to give my wardrobe a spring clean – keep all the bulky clothes away and have all the spring/summer clothes easy to reach.
During this time of the year, I long for light and simple dishes. In fact, I have already got a few in my head, which I will make them and post soon. I have been insanely busy lately and have kind of neglected my blog. When I woke up this morning, I said to myself that l have to write a post before we step into April. Then, I was thinking what do I have to post? I was looking around my kitchen for some inspirations and to check if there’s anything that I could make. Then, I saw some bananas in the fruit basket, about to get lots of dark spots on the skin, I thought, well, banana cake perhaps?
Not long ago, I saw a banana cake recipe by Gertrude from My Kitchen Snippets, which I have bookmarked and wanted to try out. So, it was a great timing as these bananas have to be used or eaten. When I looked at the photos, those slices of banana cake look really moist and yummy! I also noticed that Gertrude used condensed milk, which I have never seen this in any other recipe. I was very very excited and anxious to try. I didn’t wait any longer and got all the ingredients ready. I didn’t have the size of the cake tin that Gertrude specified, so I just used a loaf tin.
The smell of cake baking in the kitchen was just fantastic! Not long after that, I got a lovely looking banana cake in front of me, this is going to be my breakfast for the next few days! 😉
from the Kitchen Snippets
225g caster sugar
4 tbsp condensed milk
4 bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla or banana essence
460g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Greased and line an 20cm round baking pan or 20 x 20cm square pan. In a bowl sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set it aside.
2. Beat the soft butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time and mix until smooth. Mix in mashed bananas, vanilla and condensed milk. Mix well.
3. Lower down the mixer speed, slowly add in the flour mixture and blend just until smooth.
4. Pour batter into the baking pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it. Let the cool before serving.