Puy Lentil, Savoy Cabbage, Sausage Soup
The weather is getting so cold lately that I need to put my socks on all the time. This year is colder than last. It snowed slightly on the 28th October. It was pretty unusual (for me) to see snow in October as it’s usually in either December or January. It got me thinking that the weather is changing.
Again, I really would appreciate something that can warm me up quickly and give me energy at the same time. At this time of the year, it’s very easy to catch cold as a result of windy, rainy and cold nights. Eating the right food is really important. Another soup or one-pot becomes my choice without much hesitation.
So, I decided to make a big pot of rustic soup. Green lentils or Puy lentils are great to make soup. Puy lentils are great source of fiber in lowering cholesterol. Puy lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein-all with virtually no fat!
Apart from Puy lentils, I have chosen savoy cabbage and sausages as the main ingredients too. So, that makes the name Puy lentil, savoy cabbage, sausage soup. To add some sweetness to the soup, I have added carrots too. This soup is very filling. The beauty of this soup is that you can have it as your main meal, accompanied with some bread. Puy lentil, savouy cabbage, sausage soup is so full of flavours and characters! Also, it lasts for 2 meals.
So, this is another of my one-pot cooking - always tastes better the next day. Enjoy!
Puy Lentil, Savoy Cabbage, Saugage Soup
Yield: 4-6 persons
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves
150g bacon, diced
6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
200g puy lentils/green lentils, soaked
2l vegetable stock
half of small savoy cabbage, sliced
salt and pepper
1 tsp mixed herbs
1. Heat a pot with olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
2. Then, add the bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes or until brown. Put the carrots, stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add the puy lentils, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Put the lid on and turn to medium heat. Cook for about 45 minutes - 1 hour or until the lentils become soft.
4. Meanwhile, in a pan over medium heat, fry the sausages until brown.
5. Add in the savoy cabbage to the pot after 30 minutes into the cooking. Stir and mix well. Then, add the sausages and mix with the rest of the ingredients.